Computers For Schools
Urgent Help Requested
The education of all children has been disrupted in this country but the less advantaged are suffering more acutely than others because of a lack of access to laptops and technology. At the moment, this means little or no education at all. Many of these kids are in their GCSE or A level years and the impact on their long-term future could be considerable.
Here are just a few of the headlines from recent months.
Our objective is to unite the insurance community and make a real difference. We are asking individuals and firms to help by donating either technology – new or used – or cash. Any cash donated will be used to purchase reconditioned technology.
If you or your firm has redundant technology or can offer new technology please read on to find out how you can help. Schools are particularly in need of:
- Microsoft Windows laptops
- Microsoft Windows tablets
- Google Chromebooks
- Apple iPads
With reconditioned laptops of a suitable quality available from around £120 our collective effords could quickly make a difference
What Is The Need?
- The Department for Education have now promised 1.3M computers to schools but only been able to deliver 750,000 as at 15th January 2021. (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hundreds-of-thousands-more-laptops-to-support-disadvantaged-pupils-learn-at-home)
- There are around 8M children in state-funded primary and secondary schools.
- Around 1.3M school children qualify for free school meals and are likely to be in need of support.
- We anticipate the need is greater in areas away from the main insurance hubs in the UK and our objective is to support schools based on the greatest need.
Our immediate goal is to help deliver 10,000 computers to help schools level the playing field for all children. Equipment will be delivered to help those most in need.
With many thousands of firms involved directly and indirectly in and supporting the insurance industry, and in ecxess of 100,000 people employed directly or indirectly in the industry, we hope that by acting collectively, we can make a real difference to the future of our children, many of whom will end up working in our industry.
The need right now is urgent, but we believe technology should never be a barrier that prevents any child reaching their full potential. Our objective is to provide immediate help now combined with a longer term commitment to ensure no child’s education is hindered by a lack of access to the right technology.
How You Can Help
We are appealing to firms and individuals to assist in whatever way you can. Please consider donating now. Whether your firm has technology that it is able to donate, or you wish to make a financial donation, however large or small.
This is our chance as the insurance comunity to make a real difference to the next generation of insurance industry employees.
The Worshipful Company of Insurers Charitable Trust are managing the collection and distribution of all financial donations.
If you would prefer to make a cash donation, please transfer your donation as soon as possible.
Account name: The Worshipful Company of Insurers Charitable Trust
Bank name: CAF Bank
Sort code: 40-52-40
Account number: 00031527
Please ensure all donations are marked “Computers 4 Schools”.
- Please ensure your old equipment is data-wiped.
- Please ensure it meets the minimum specifications set by the Government here.
- Deliver your equipment to:Computers4Schools
c/o Lloyd’s of London
One Lime Street
- Please email Computers4Schools to let us know that you are sending a donation so we can track donations.
This initiative is proceeding with the support of the following insurance industry organisations.
All financial donations and donations of equipment are being donated to schools with the guidance of the education sector. We are grateful to the NAHT for their support in this respect.